4.9.14

The 10

This was going around Facebook, and I thought it wise to have a permanent record of it on my (dead) blog.

List 10 books that have influenced or stayed with you in some way.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro: My all-time favourite book, it moved me beyond words. The last paragraph left me shedding tears through the night. I've resisted reading it again because sometimes, one read is all it takes.

Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon: This was probably one of the easiest and hardest read because of its simplicity and challenging perspective. It was also one of the first crossover books that marked my passage to adult fiction.

Not Wanted on the Voyage by Timothy Findley: When I first came to Canada, I'd to write an essay about a book from a Canadian novelist. I headed to the library, did my own research, and came across this. A dark retelling of Noah's Ark, it captivated me from the get-go and made schoolwork so enjoyable.

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood: I will always remember where I was when I read a chunk of this. That feeling of just being lost in a book about a post-apocalypse world while civilization was still going on around me... unforgettable.

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel: The newest book on my list (so new it's only coming out next week), my mind keeps wandering back to the images I have conjured of it. It reminded me a lot of Oryx and Crake as well, and of that same feeling I described.

After Dark by Haruki Murakami: My first foray into Murakami, I remember thinking to myself, what took me so long?! I went on to read many others from him and while this is not my favourite one, it will always have a special place in my heart.

The Famous Five series by Enid Blyton: While most people read The Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew growing up, my siblings and I went on British adventures with The Famous Five. This is my childhood, right here!

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer: I was equally inspired, sad, and angry at Christopher McCandless as I read this. It yearned to pack up my things and just disappear but I didn't have the wits or the knowledge to do so.

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell: This genre-bending epic left me confused and in awe at the same time. How can a man write in so many voices, across so many places, and over so many timelines? The longer it stewed in me, the more I couldn't forget it. On the strength of this one book, Mitchell became one of my favourite authors.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini: Back in the day, I had dismissed the notion of reading Heather's Picks. This somehow snuck up on me. You have no idea the amount of ugly crying I did. Not only because she's my boss, I do read Heather's Picks now thanks to this.

If you're reading this, why not share yours too?






Speed is Deceiving

Stones taught me to fly
Love taught me to lie
Life taught me to die

Instagram
Facebook
Twitter